On January 9, the ARC hosted a special workshop in traditional fiddle tunes from the western Swedish region of Västergötland. Anna Lindblad, a young Riksspelman (that’s an honor for Swedish musicians who are recognized tradition-bearers), shared four tunes with fiddlers from the New York Spelmanslag. The NY fiddlers were thrilled to work with Anna, whose repertoire is little known, inside or outside of Sweden!
Anna is currently on a tour of the northeast US with Ryan Drickey, an American fiddler who recently spent a year in Sweden on a Fulbright grant. Anna and Ryan will also be giving a mini concert at Scandia New York on January 16 (scandiaNY.org), and are performing at the Montpelier, VT-,Winter Folk Fest , Jan 18 – 20, 2013 http://www.summit-school.org/node/1059
Thanks to P. George for the info above and setting up Anna’s appearances in NYC.
Anna was kind enough to donate five of her recent CDs to ARC, showcasing her interest in folk music from quite a few continents:
• Lily Mountain Band. Selling My Soul (Lily Mountain, Sweden, LMMCD 002, 5″, vinyl disc-Single or Ep, 2012). Feat. Anna Lindblad.
• LYY. LYY (Dimma, Sweden, DI 5007, 5″, compact disc). Anna Lindblad. Cardboard wrapper case.
• LYY. Tva (Dimma, Sweden, DI 5007, 5″, compact disc). Anna Lindblad. Cardboard wrapper case.
• Anna Lindblad. Lindblad & Co. (Dimma, Sweden, DI 5007, 5″, compact disc). No wrapper or case.
• Pelios. Gourmet! (Suvi, Sweden, SUVISCD 02, 12″, vinyl disc-Lp). As Pelios Anna Lindblad performs Baltic music. Cardboard wrapper case.